Notifications
Clear all

Keep EC tunning??

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@juan-herrera)
Topic starter

So after doing some changes and shrinking groups some. Upgraded bipod added a spigot oh and by the way if you get a spigot for a bravo chassis you need their picrail 5slot if your going picrail attachment no other will work with the hole spacing.  So here are some 10 shot group pics of tunner setting 1 and 13 both are just under an 1” 13 is smaller though witch that was the best I could get staggering settings just 1 full turn

You guys think I should keep tuning??? 

7mm-08 tikka action 1/8 twist 26” heavy palma by preferred barrel 

KRG bravo stock 

(match chamber)

190 bergers 2500fps +\-

reloder 17  41grains 

Sds are at 8

also thought about bedding the action

any thoughts or advice let me know apréciate it. 

All 100 yards 

10shots 

10shots 

hornady precision hunter 3 shots it will usually just clump them up in this pattern a lot tighter than my handloads 

Posted : 05/25/2022 6:08 PM
(@toddzhere3)

it's hard to say where you can improve on equipment because you didn't describe much about your rifle or components. 

If you have a decent rifle, you should be able to shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards with factory match ammo. Obviously, that doesn't mean that rifle and ammo will hold 1/2 MOA at distance.

If you have a quality action/barrel, stock, bipod, rear bag and are using good brass and bullets, I would say keep practicing and developing your marksmanship skills. 

Bedding is an absolute necessity for long range but you are not likely to take a 1 MOA group down to a 1/2 MOA group at 100 yards.

If you already have the components mentioned above, I would look to add a good trigger like Bix N' Andy, Jewel, or TriggerTech. A smooth trigger with a lowered trigger pull help my consistency and accuracy a great deal when I was first learning 

Posted : 05/25/2022 6:22 PM
(@shooter808)

What distance are those targets shot?  100 yards?  (sorry if I missed noting)

Do you have a baseline to compare?  Say factory match ammo?  

If the targets you posted are at 100 yards, and you "followed the steps", something's definitely up.  That's where I was glad I could test my 6.5 with factory ammo, where it turned out there was something up with brake.  

Posted : 05/25/2022 7:16 PM
(@juan-herrera)
Topic starter

@toddzhere3 thanks I updated my info and yes it shoots tighter with hornaday precision hunter 

Posted : 05/25/2022 10:05 PM
(@juan-herrera)
Topic starter

@shooter808 

thanks I updated my info and yes it shoots tighter with hornaday precision hunter Did yours shoot better with out the brake ?

Posted : 05/25/2022 10:07 PM
(@notsmallgroups)

It's going to be hard to get them much tighter without varying seating depth.  The best way to tune is to find the powder node, find the seating depth node, then perform the tuning and you'll see a couple nodes with the tuner as well.  Tuning factory ammo is just not that easy, because it's missing the foundational parts of powder and depth tuning.  It's really difficult to get the positive compensation factor in place with them as well.  Like today, after doing some seating depth and powder tuning, then tuning with the EC Tuner, I shot a roughly 0.1" 5 shot group with a 6.5 Creedmoor at 1k yards.  It was just a tad smaller than my pinky finger nail.  Of course, it didn't start out that way.  It was about 0.9" for a 3-shot group when I started the tuning process of powder which got it down to 0.5", then seating depth which got it down to 0.3", and the tuner got it dialed in very well.  A 7mm-08 should be able to at a minimum match that if not go one hole for 5 shots.  Lotta ppl underestimate the accuracy of that round.  I have considered going with it for F-Class, because my shoulder just can't seem to take the 284 recoil and 7-08 is less enough I can take the hit.

Posted : 05/26/2022 9:26 PM
(@shooter808)

Posted by: @juan-herrera

@shooter808 

thanks I updated my info and yes it shoots tighter with hornaday precision hunter Did yours shoot better with out the brake ?

This gun doesn’t have EC tuner brake, but here’s my baseline in my 6.5 CM that I was trouble shooting with match ammo as baseline. I was getting “unexpected” results in first 20 shots down barrel. After troubleshooting and baseline to compare, quickly narrows down to an issue with brake alignment (not EC Tuner brake). 

For another gun, I haven’t shot without the EC Tuner brake, but I was able to tighten from the baseline factory match ammo. Hope that helps. Good luck and keep us posted on results! 

Posted : 05/27/2022 2:09 PM
(@juan-herrera)
Topic starter

@shooter808 

Thanks for the reply and the info.👍 couple things in gunna do next loaded rounds is go back to my original seating depth wear I had like sd of 5 so maybe that's were I went wrong and just tune from there with tunner meaning the seating depth change also changed my combustion I me still watching Érica reloading videos it's a little confusion navigating to those here and there but I'm getting it . another thing i just learned was the 3 calipers that I use are not designated meaning 1 specific one for BT OGIVE and one base to shoulder so i marked them so I use those specific ones for those measurement only ans another for OAL. Also I'm gunna bed the action . Thanks again the science project continues

Posted : 05/27/2022 2:23 PM

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: